Sport Premium Funding
What is the Sport Premium Funding?
In March 2013 the government announced that it was to provide additional funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 to improve provision of PE and School Sport.
This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - is allocated directly to the schools. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
On 6th February 2014 the Prime Minister, David Cameron committed to continue the funding for the Sport Premium until 2020.
Objectives of the Sport Premium Funding
The objectives of improving PE and School Sport include:
· The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
· The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
· Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
· Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
· Increased participation in competitive sport.